BOSTON, Mass. - Behind a 26-save performance from senior netminder Gwyneth Philips, the No. 3 Northeastern women's hockey team shutout No. 15 UConn, 3-0, on Friday afternoon at Matthews Arena. With the win, Northeastern (3-0-0, 1-0-0 HE) picked up its first Hockey East victory of the season.
Graduate student forward Alina Mueller scored her 21st career game-winning goal in the victory, marking a new Hockey East era program record for the Huskies. Mueller passed Kendall Coyne Schofield who held the previous record at 20.
- Northeastern and UConn played to a scoreless first frame, with NU holding a 10-8 edge in shots.
- Northeastern erupted for three goals in the second period to put some distance between themselves and Connecticut. Mueller got the scoring started with her fourth goal of the season at the 3:38 mark in the second. Mueller's goal was assisted by graduate student forward Maureen Murphy and senior defenseman Abbey Marohn.
- Senior forward Katy Knoll followed up Mueller's tally just over a minute later to make it 2-0. Freshman forward Lily Shannon and graduate student defenseman Maude Poulin-Labelle claimed the assists.
- Sophomore forward Skylar Irving closed out the scoring with her first of the season at the 8:40 mark in the second. Defensive duo sophomore Tory Mariano and freshman Kristina Allard combined for the assists.
- Philips posted her first shutout of the season and seventh in her career in the victory. Northeastern outshot UConn, 33-26 overall.
- Mariano and Murphy led all Huskies with three blocks each.
Up next, Northeastern will travel to UConn on Saturday, Oct. 8 for a 3 p.m. tilt.