WORCESTER, Mass. - The No. 15 women's hockey team shutout Holy Cross, 4-0, on Saturday, Oct. 15 in Worcester, Mass. Sandra Abstreiter is the only goalie in the history of the program to record four consecutive shutouts.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- First period ended scoreless. The Friars outshot the Crusaders 16-10.
- Second period remained scoreless until 14:34 when Rachel Weiss (Calgary, Alberta) scored her first goal of the season, bringing the Friars to a 1-0 lead. Reichen Kirchmair (Oakville, Ontario) assisted on the goal.
- Delaney Couture netted a shot just 20 seconds later at the 14:54 mark with help from Mégane Quirion (Saint-Eustache,Quebec) and Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario).
- The Friars ended period two with a 2-0 lead over the Crusaders.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) found the back of the net with help from Noemi Neubauerova (Prague, Czech Republic) at the 6:29 mark in the third period to give the Friars a 3-0 edge.
- With 17 seconds left in the third Claire Tyo (Massena, N.Y.) assisted Hjalmarsson to a shorthanded goal to close out the Friars' win, 4-0.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) ended the night with 14 saves for her 13th career shutout. Abstreiter is the only goalie in Providence College women's hockey history to record four straight shutouts.
- The last time the Friars had four consecutive shutouts was during the 2000-01 season.
Power plays: 0/2
Penalty Kill: 4/4
Holy Cross -
Power plays: 0/4
Penalty Kill: 2/2
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Hjalmarsson, Neubauerova, (5)
Goals: Hjalmarsson (2)
Assists: Neubauerova, Quirion, Hardy, Kirchmair, Tyo (1)
Points: Hjalmarsson (2)
The Friars travel to UNH on Friday, Oct. 21 for a 2:00 p.m. puck drop.