Graduate forward Justin Pearson had a goal and an assist for the Huskies
Pearson Goal Sends UConn Past Maine, 3-2
Graduate forward Justin Pearson had a goal and an assist for the Huskies

Box Score

HARTFORD, Conn. - The UConn Huskies took down the University of Maine Saturday night to complete the weekend sweep. Matthew Wood, Chase Bradley, and Justin Pearson were the goal scorers for the Huskies.

Maine opened the scoring early in the first period as Felix Trudeau scored on an odd man rush for the Black Bears. UConn faced their first test of adversity as senior captain Roman Kinal was served a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting from behind. With Roman Kinal no longer available, UConn was forced to adjust and finish the period a man down.

UConn started the second period strong, killing off the penalty and resuming five on five hockey. Early in the second period following the penalty kill, the UConn pressure impacted the Black Bears as UConn would take control of the puck and even the score on a shot by Matthew Wood. With the lead, UConn's defense and netminder Arsenii Sergeev remained strong limiting Maine's chances. Late in the second period, UConn was once again applying pressure in the Maine defensive zone. Chase Bradley took control of the puck and fired a shot from an impossible angle that bounced off the goaltender's head and into the back of the net for the goal and give UConn the lead heading into the period break.

Both teams came out strong to start the third period. Maine evened the score late in the third period as Lynden Breen fired a shot right past Arsenii Sergeev. UConn would not let the goal kill momentum as the next shift, Justin Pearson took a pass from Andrew Lucas and fired a shot bar down to give UConn the one goal lead. Pearson's goal would be enough, as the Huskies would go on to take down Maine by a final of 3-2.

Up Next

UConn will turn their attention to Providence College as they are set to begin a home and home series with the friars beginning November 11.