PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 13 women's hockey team shutout the University of Maine, 3-0, on Friday, Nov. 18 at Schneider Arena. Rachel Weiss led the Friars with two goals.
Providence - 3 | Maine - 0
Providence - 11-4-1 (8-3-1 HEAW) | Maine - 8-8-1 (6-5-0 HEAW)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Both teams skated through the first period scoreless.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) put the Friars on the board with a goal 3:11 into the second period. Lindsay Bochna (Toronto, Ontario) was credited with an assist.
- At the 4:14 mark of the second period, Reichen Kirchmair (Oakville, Ontario) and Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.) earned assists on Rachel Weiss' (Calgary, Alberta) first goal.
- The Friars led, 2-0, heading into the final intermission.
- Weiss netted her second goal of the afternoon at the 18:25 mark of the final period. Brooke Becker (Orchard Park, N.Y.) and Kirchmair earned the assists on the goal.
- It marked Weiss' first multi-goal game as a Friar.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) finished the day with 42 saves.
- The Friars have earned shutouts in each of their last two games and six shutouts overall on the season.
- Abstreiter has been the goaltender of record during each of the six shutouts, and owns 15 in her career. Her six shutouts in 2022-23 mark a career high.
- Abstreiter ranks second all-time in career shutouts at Providence College. Genevieve Lacasse is the career leader (20). Abstreiter recently passed Jana Bugden '06 and Madison Myers, who are tied for third all-time in shuouts, with 13.
- Earlier this season, Providence recorded four-consecutive shutouts, marking the longest such stretch since the 2000-01 season.