PROVIDENCE, R.I. - A three-goal outburst for Brown University early in the second period was enough as the Bears held off the No. 8 Providence College men's hockey team, 3-2, in the 36th Mayor's Cup on Saturday night at Schneider Arena. Providence's unbeaten streak was snapped at nine games (6-0-3).
No. 8 Providence (9-3-3, 6-0-3 HEA) | Brown (3-6-1, 1-6-1 ECAC)
No. 8 Providence - 2 | Brown - 3
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Austin Roden (PC) - 11 saves, 3 goals against
Philip Svedebäck (PC) - 8 saves, 0 goals against
Mathieu Caron (Brown) - 35 saves, 2 goals against
- The Friars rushed out to an early 8-0 shot advantage and finally broke the ice at the 13:50 mark as Max Crozier fired a shot from the half-wall that broke through Caron for his second of the season. Chase Yoder earned the assist with the faceoff win.
- Brown countered with a three-goal outburst in the opening 5:27 of the second period.
- Brett Bliss, Ryan Bottrill and Jackson Munro scored for the Bears to give them a 3-1 lead.
- Philip Svedebäck replaced Austin Roden after the third Brown goal.
- Providence controlled the play in the third period, outshooting the Bears by a 18-5 margin and eventually cut the deficit to 3-2 with under five minutes to play on Austen May's third goal of the weekend.
- Brown's Mathieu Caron held strong in the final minutes to preserve the victory for the Bears as they earned their first Mayor's Cup since 2016.
- Crozier led the Friars with a game-high eight shots on goal.
- Svedebäck stopped all eight shots he faced in relief during a stretch of 32:37.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Crozier, May (1)
Assists: Moynihan, Yoder, Ford (1)
Points: Crozier, May, Moynihan, Yoder, Ford (1)
Shots: Crozier (8)
Providence - 0/1
Brown - 0/1
Providence - 37
Brown - 22
The Friars will battle Boston College in a home-and-home series beginning next Friday night in Chestnut Hill.