PROVIDENCE. R.I. - The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team defeated Merrimack College, 4-2, on Friday, Dec. 2 at Schneider Arena. Freshman defensemen Cristina Cavaliere scored her first career goal.
Providence - 4 | Merrimack - 2
Providence - 14-4-1 (10-3-1 HEAW) | Merrimack - 5-11-1 (4-10-1 HEAW)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Merrimack Warriors' Alexa Pongo struck first during a power play 5:53 into the first period. Allison Reeb and Katie Kaufman assisted the goal.
- The Friars returned at 8:29 with a goal, 1-1, by Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden). Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.) and Brooke Becker (Orchard Park, N.Y.) were each credited with an assist.
- Alex Pongo scored the Warriors' second goal of the night 7:27 into the second period with help from Payten Evans for a 2-1 lead.
- At the 13:37 mark of the second period, Delaney Couture (Shrewsbury, Mass) tied the score, 2-2. Mégane Quirion (Saint-Eustache, Quebec) assisted on the goal.
- Isabelle Hardy gave the Friars a 3-2 edge over the Warriors with a goal 16:45 into the second period. Quirion was credited with the assist, her second of the night.
- The Friars led, 3-2, heading into the final period.
- The final goal of the night was scored 6:14 into the third period when freshman Cristina Cavaliere (Mississauga, Ontario) netted her first career goal. Quirion was credited with her third assist of the night on the play.
- Quirion's three assists marks a new career-high.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) finished the night with 15 saves.
- The win over Merrimack gives the Friars their fifth-consecutive win.
Power plays: 0/4
Penalty Kill: 5/6
Power plays: 1/6
Penalty Kill: 4/4
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Peterson, Hardy (4)
Goals: Couture, Hjalmarsson, Hardy, Cavaliere (1)
Assists: Quirion (3)
Points: Quirion (3)
The Friars will host Merrimack for a second matchup tomorrow, Dec. 3 at 2:00 p.m.