NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - The No.13 Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Merrimack Warriors, 5-2, on Saturday, Jan. 14 at Lawler Rink in North Andover, Mass. The Friars scored five goals during the third period.
Providence - 5 | Merrimack - 2
Providence - 17-8-1 (12-6-1 HEAW) | Merrimack - 7-17-1 (4-13-1 HEAW)
Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Merrimack's Katie Kaufman scored first with 2:20 left in the first period. Sophie McKinley and Hayler Chang assisted on the goal.
- McKinley converted on a power play at the 9:50 mark of the second period to give the Warriors a 2-0 lead. Payten Evans and Madison Oelkers each earned an assist.
- Merrimack held a 2-0 lead heading into the second intermission.
- Ashley Clark (North Weymouth, Mass.) kicked off an action packed third period with the Friars' first goal 1:51 into play. Reichen Kirchmair (Oakville, Ontario) was credited with the assist.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) returned two minutes later with an unassisted goal to tie the score, 2-2.
- At the 7:52 mark, Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) netted a goal to give the Friars a 3-2 lead. Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.) and Lily Hendrikson (Edina, Minn.) each recorded an assist on the play.
- Hunter Barnett (Caledon, Ontario) tallied the Friars' fourth goal off a pass from Kirchmair at the 9:19 mark.
- Rachel Weiss (Clagary, Alberta) sealed the deal with an unassisted goal, 5-2, on Merrimack's empty net with 2:27 left in regulation.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) finished the night with 22 saves.
Power plays: 0/3
Penalty Kill: 1/2
Power plays: 1/2
Penalty Kill: 3/3
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Hjalmarsson (8)
Goals: Clark, Hjalmarsson, DeBlois, Barnett, Weiss (1)
Assists: Kirchmair (2)
Points: Kirchmair (2)
On Friday, Jan. 20 the Friars host the No.15 UConn Huskies at Schneider Arena for a 6:00 p.m. puck drop.