STORRS, Conn. - Sophomore Tory Mariano scored the game-winner in overtime to send the No. 5 Northeastern women's hockey team past No. 15 Connecticut, 3-2, on Friday evening at the Toscano Family Ice Forum.
Northeastern rallied back twice after falling behind 1-0 and 2-1 to force the game to overtime before finding the eventual game-winner.
- Northeastern fell behind 1-0 in the first period, after UConn got on the board at the 5:12 mark. NU was then held off the scoreboard for the rest of the first frame.
- Graduate student Chloé Aurard got the Huskies on the board in the second with her fourth shorthanded goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1. Senior Megan Carter and junior Lily Yovetich combined for the assists. The two teams headed into the final period deadlocked at 1-1.
- UConn once again took the lead, 2-1, at the 10:45 mark. Sophomore Taze Thompson tied the game for Northeastern under five minutes later. Thompson's third goal in as many games was assisted by graduate students Mia Brown and Maude Poulin-Labelle.
- As the game headed to three-on-three overtime, Mariano potted her first goal of the season to hand NU its 15th straight victory. Aurard and graduate student Alina Mueller tallied the assists.
- Senior netminder Gwyneth Philips finished her night with 19 saves. Mariano also led all players with three blocks.
Northeastern will play for the Beanpot Championship on Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 7:30 p.m. on NESN+ and ESPN+