DURHAM, N.H. - Senior captain Chase Stevenson (West Kelowna, British Columbia) scored the game-tying goal with 2:09 remaining in the third period while freshman forward Stiven Sardarian (Saint Petersburg, Russia) scored the only goal of the shootout as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team tied Maine, 2-2, and earned the extra point with the shootout win on Friday night in front of a sold out crowd of 6,501 at the Whittemore Center.
Senior goaltender David Fessenden (Parker, Colo.) was outstanding in net with 26 saves as he kept the Black Bears from scoring in the shootout.
The Wildcats are now 11-18-2 (6-13-2 Hockey East) and are 4-0-1 over their last five games, while the Black Bears are 13-13-4 (7-9-3 Hockey East).
- The Wildcats will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 18 for White Out The Whitt versus Maine at the Whittemore Center at 7 p.m. in a Border Battle Series presented by Buffalo Wild Wings. The game is be presented by Eastern Propane as the Wildcats will honor their seniors.
- Go to UNHWildcats.com/Tickets or call the ticket office at (603) 862-4000 to catch the most exciting family entertainment in New Hampshire.
Score: New Hampshire 2, Maine 2 (OT-UNH Wins Shootout, 1-0)
Records: UNH (11-18-2, 6-13-2 Hockey East); Maine (13-14-3, 7-10-2 Hockey East)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Friday, Feb.17, 2023
Time: 7 p.m.
Attendance: 6,501 (Sell Out)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At 18:11 of the first period and on a power play, Maine took the lead 1-0 as Nolan Renwick fired a shot stick side in front of the net.
- The Wildcats tied the contest at 1-1 at 7:05 of the second period when senior forward Ryan Black (Pomfret, Conn.) sent a wide pass to freshman forward Kristaps Skrastins (Grobina, Latvia) who then ripped a shot glove side. Sardarian also recorded an assist on the goal.
- At 13:02 of the third period, Maine took the lead 2-1 as Ben Poisson sent a pass to Didrick Henbrant who then found the back of the net.
- With just 2:09 left in the third, UNH made it 2-2 as freshman defenseman Damien Carfagna (Wood-Ridge, N.J.) fired a shot that was deflected by Stevenson for his 12th goal of the season.
- The Wildcats earned the extra point in the Hockey East standings on a goal by Sardarian in the shootout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: - Fessenden recorded 26 saves, while Victor Ostman had 21.
- Maine outshot UNH, 28-23.
- Each team went 1-1 on the power play.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Stevenson is on a five-game point streak with five goals and three assists for eight points during this stretch.
- Sardarian has two goals and four assists for six points over the last five games.
- Skrastins now has three goals.
- UNH is 4-3-2 in overtime this season
- The Wildcats are 7-2-1 over their last 10 games.