BOSTON - The No. 5 Northeastern women's hockey team earned its sixth consecutive Hockey East Title with a 4-1 victory over No. 14 Providence at Matthews Arena. With the victory, the Huskies earned an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament.
Graduate student Alina Mueller was named the Hockey East Tournament MVP for her performance, scoring five goals and having three assists throughout the tournament. Mueller was joined on the All-Tournament team by Maureen Murphy, Peyton Anderson, Megan Carter and Gwyneth Philips.
- Providence opened the scoring at 7:51 in the first period to take a 1-0 lead.
- At 14:35 in the first frame just minutes after her shot rang the post, graduate student Mueller finished a loose puck in front of the net to tie the game. The assists were to graduate students Maureen Murphy and Chloé Aurard. Northeastern and Providence went into the first intermission tied at one.
- The Huskies struck again at 6:55 in the second period on a goal from senior Megan Carter from who fired a wrist shot through the defense from the top of the zone. The goal was assisted by Murphy and Mueller.
- Just 55 seconds into the third period, Aurard put the Huskies up 3-1 on the power-play. Murphy and senior Katy Knoll had the assists. Aurard added to her tally as the NCAA active leader in power play goals, getting to 27.
- With 2:38 left on the clock, sophomore Taze Thompson tipped a shot from graduate student Maude Poulin-Labelle into the back of the net and provided the 4-1 final score. Knoll was also credited with an assist.
- Gwyneth Philips saved 20 of 21 shots in the contest to anchor the Huskies defensively.
The NCAA Selection show is on Sunday, March 5 at 12 p.m. on ESPN News, the Huskies are making their seventh overall NCAA tournament appearance.