PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Senior Jamie Engelbert scored 1:41 into the first overtime period as the No. 7 seed Providence College men's hockey team advanced to the Hockey East Quarterfinals with a 2-1 victory over No. 10 seed New Hampshire on Wednesday night (March 8) at Schneider Arena.
No. 7 seed Providence (15-13-7, 9-9-6 HEA) | No. 10 seed New Hampshire (11-21-3, 6-15-3 HEA)
Providence - 2 | New Hampshire - 1 - OT
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I. - Hockey East Opening Round
Philip Svedebäck (PC) - 22 saves, 1 goal against David Fessenden (UNH) - 28 saves, 2 goals against
- A good pace to begin the game as both teams generated some quality offensive chances in the opening minutes of the contest.
- The Friars scored the period's lone goal as Craig Needham finished off Max Crozier's rebound off a faceoff win to put Providence up 1-0. It was Needham's fifth goal of the season and third against the Wildcats in four games.
- UNH responded early in the second period to tie the game at 1-1 on Conor Lovett's goal at the 3:09 mark.
- Providence controlled play throughout the third period and into overtime. The Friars attempted 75 shots with 31 being blocked.
- Just 1:41 into the overtime period, Patrick Moynihan gained the UNH blue line and fired a shot towards the net that Engelbert re-directed for his fifth goal of the season.
- Engelbert tallied his first game-winning goal of the season and the fifth overall in his career.
- Needham has three goals and one assist in four games against New Hampshire this season.
- Philip Svedebäck stopped 22-of-23 shots faced for his 13th win of the year.
- Providence finishes at 2-1-1 against the Wildcats in 2022-23.
- The Friars appeared in their NCAA-high 13th overtime this season and improved to 4-2-7 in the extra sessions. All four wins were against Hockey East opponents.
- Saturday marks the first quarterfinal meeting between Providence and Northeastern since 1994, which was the only time the Friars have played Hockey East Tournament games at Matthews Arena.
- Overall, the Friars are 4-2 all-time in postseason play against Northeastern and 2-2 in the quarterfinal round. The teams last playoff meeting was at TD Garden in the 2018 Hockey East Semifinals where the Friars advanced to the title game with a 3-2 overtime win.
- This season, Providence is 1-0-1 against the Huskies, earning a 2-1 win at Matthews Arena on Oct. 15 and a 3-3 tie at Schneider Arena on Feb. 10.
- Nate Leaman has now appeared in the quarterfinal round in all 12 seasons as head coach at Providence.
- The Friars improve to 44-53-1 overall in Hockey East Tournament games and 4-0 all-time in the Hockey East Opening Round.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Needham, Engelbert (1)
Assists: Crozier, Needham, Moynihan (1)
Points: Needham (2)
Shots: Crozier (7)
Providence - 0/1
New Hampshire - 0/2
Providence - 30
New Hampshire - 23
The Friars will visit the No. 3 seed Northeastern Huskies on Saturday night (March 11) at Matthews Arena in the Hockey East Quarterfinals.