BOSTON, Mass. - Brady Berard scored his first collegiate goal 4:00 into overtime as the No. 7 seed Providence College men's hockey team defeated No. 3 seed Northeastern, 2-1, in the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Saturday (March 11) at Matthews Arena. With the win, Providence advances to the Hockey East Semifinals next Friday (March 17) at TD Garden against top-seeded Boston University.
No. 7 seed Providence (16-13-7, 9-9-6 HEA) | No. 3 seed Northeastern (17-13-5, 14-7-3 HEA)
Providence - 2 | Northeastern - 1 - OT
Matthews Arena - Boston, Mass.
Philip Svedebäck (PC) - 25 saves, 1 goal against
Devon Levi (NU) - 32 saves, 2 goals against
- With Providence's Will Schimek sent to the box for interference, the Huskies scored the opening tally of the game as Cam Lund gave Northeastern a 1-0 lead at 9:44 of the first period.
- The Friars established momentum in the second period, outshooting the Huskies by a 20-4 margin.
- Liam Valente nearly tied the game up early in the period as he rang a shot off the post on a 2-on-1 chance.
- Co-captain Parker Ford leveled the game at 1-1 at 13:11 of the second period on a great individual effort to work through the defense and beat Levi with a wrap-around for his 12th goal of the season. Taige Harding and Riley Duran earned the assists.
- Providence continued to generate good looks in the third period and nearly took the lead early on when Jaroslav Chmelar tried to finish in tight as the puck sat in the crease as a scrum ensued.
- For the 14th time this season and second-consecutive postseason game, Providence needed overtime to decide the game.
- Just 4:00 into overtime, Brady Berard finished off a rebound off the end boards from Guillaume Richard to send the Friars onto the semifinals.
- Providence improves to 45-53-1 all-time in the Hockey East Tournament and 5-2 all-time in postseason play against Northeastern.
- Providence is now 33-37-1 all-time in the quarterfinal round. In the semifinals, the Friars are 5-12 all-time.
- Nate Leaman's Providence teams will appear in their seventh semifinal and 18th overall in program history. The Friars make their first semifinal appearance since 2021 and first appearance at TD Garden since 2018.
- Providence is 6-9 all-time in tournament games as the No. 7 seed. Providence has made the semifinals one other time as a No. 7 seed - Nate Leaman's first season in 2012.
- All-time against Boston University in the Hockey East Tournament, the Friars are 10-12 and 2-2 in the semifinal round. The team's last postseason meeting was in the 2018 Hockey East Championship Game, where the Terriers earned a 2-0 win. The last semifinal meeting was in 1996, where Providence earned a 5-4 win and eventually went on to capture the Hockey East crown.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Ford, Brady Berard (1)
Assists: Harding (2)
Points: Harding (2)
Shots: Duran, Ford (5)
Providence - 0/2
Northeastern - 1/2
Providence - 34
Northeastern - 26
Puck drop between Providence and Boston University in next Friday's semifinals is set for 4 p.m. at TD Garden.